Sunday, July 3, 2011

birthday weekend

Have I mentioned on here I was born over the 4th of July weekend?
When I was a kid my parents would tell me the fireworks 
were partially to celebrate my birthday.


I believed them.


And this holiday has always felt magical to me.


My husband started a tradition a few years ago that I rather like.
It's my birthday 'weekend' which means we do everything Mommy likes. 


So today was one of those really perfect days.


It included a walk/run by myself with pandora & a deer sighting just feet away.  We live in the suburbs of Los Angeles with major freeways not too far away.


But somehow in our little nook of a neighborhood we'll spot all kinds of wildlife from deer, to raccoons, possums, coyote.  
The coyotes I don't like seeing because they prey on beloved pets.
But the deer, they're always exciting and kind of take my breath away.


Then church and brunch (which was really quite late since we went to the 12:00 service).


But it meant sleeping in (which is all part of the perfect day for me of course).


And brunch was at one of my all time favorite restaurants, Coral Tree Cafe
with one of these really yummy and almost too beautiful to drink latte's.


And then a trip to the Getty Museum.
little miss on the right is growing out her bangs and won't keep a barrette in so pictures probably won't show her eyes for awhile.
Just the tram getting up to the Getty is excitement enough, as is the "family room" with lots of interactive things for kids.
But today we spent a good chunk of time in the sketching gallery.




I love seeing them encouraging each other, immersed in creation and enjoying the artistic process.  I hope they never lose any of these qualities.
The weather was perfect and the day was just so very nice.


I am so aware of feeling healthy and happy and just enjoying the moment.


Because I haven't always been able to, and it of course makes you sad, especially on your birthday to not feel healthy or happy.


So today I'm thankful for feeling calm and content.


And for the days that are filled with struggle


I'm thankful that they keep me from taking


these days for granted.


For all the big and little blessings,


I'm just plain thankful.

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 
Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances.  
But examine everything carefully; 
hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-22

No comments:

Post a Comment