Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Joy of Flying

To fly, to really, really fly.  It's what she has wanted to do for as long as she's been able to speak.


It makes me wonder, what will she grow to be.


For now she says, "When I grow up I want to be an angel mommy because I want to fly."


Second best would be a fairy because they can fly too.  She pretends as best she can, but she dreams of one day actually taking flight.


Watching her dream of flying brings me joy #59


Tomorrow night the older two will have their Christmas show and then the preschool show is the next night with family coming in from New York and San Diego to watch.


We have a busy schedule here this week.  Still praying to get everything done without losing sight of the season and without getting sick.


Tonight I took some time out to volunteer at the Community House in Hollywood.  The concept is really interesting.  Six young men and women from all over the country come in to live in this home for a year.  It's a mission trip of sorts, only it's in the middle of a major city.  They work for organizations like PATH during the day and then in the evening and on weekends the community home is open as a safe place for the kids in the neighborhood to come in to do homework, to play games and to be mentored.


This week they're letting the neighborhood kids come in to buy gifts for their parents and extended family.  The prices have been lowered so that they can afford something special for their relatives.  Then volunteers are there to help them wrap and make cards.


I wanted to take some time right now to step out of my own routine and my own to-do list to help others.  So when I got this email that they needed help, I thought it would be a perfect way to give back.  This house and the service these young men and women are giving to the community is my joy #60.


Joy #61 is that the day is done and I'm going to get some much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment