Friday, December 3, 2010

A Day In The Life Of Joy

It's Day 3 in the 100 Reasons for Joy Challenge


I think we all could take a cue from our children in looking for joy.  Today I spent the morning from 10-12 with my three-year-old finishing up shopping for family who'll be here for early Christmas very soon.  

I wasn't sure when I'd fit that shopping in and I really avoid malls like the plague.  I have to be in the right stage of energy to do this.  I have to be careful when pushing myself to do too many things because I can get fatigued from the lupus and I tell you mall shopping causes me fatigue with or without lupus.

I happened to have my camera with me because of my other daughter's award ceremony this morning.  So I brought it with me in the mall.

To see the world through the eyes of a three-year-old.  
First you must twirl out of the car, paying no mind to the spilled cereal and sand on the floor. 
And leap to the asphalt tightly clinging your favorite 'chihuahua'.
Stop to try to pick up every thing that sparkles.  
This one was nailed down.
But trust me, she'll spy a glitter, bead, or precious piece of trash, (ahem) I mean treasure everywhere.
They'll stay gripped in her hand for the better part of the day before they make their way to mommy's pocket for safe keeping.

It makes everything take longer than it should, but today I gave us time to meander and dawdle and spy sparkly things from above.
This she called the beautiful place.
And this looks like a birthday cake with candles.

You must stop and say hi to anyone and everyone, especially someone smaller than you.  You show them your treasures and ask if they'd like to be your friend.

Then you must dance for them to the music.

And all along the way you must beg mommy to see the beautiful place up close.
When you discover we've found it, you run and squeal with glee.
Then you stand in awe of the sky blue stones that sparkle just so.
And take a moment to climb.  
Oh and you must wear your boots on the wrong feet, to every third adult's dismay warning your mommy that they're backwards.  
But you know already and you like them that way, so they stay.

Then you feel the water trickle down the fountain,

and your arm.

You soak in everything and invite others to share in your joy.

You aren't in a hurry and you have no agenda.

You just want to touch and see and feel and experience everything life has to offer.

You aren't bogged down by to-do lists or time-frames.

Life is there to be enJOYed every step of the way.  

This 100 Reasons For Joy is about slowing down enough to find joy the way a child does.

And to focus on the joy of the Christ child born for us so many years ago.  

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6-7




My joys for today: 

13) finishing my shopping for my parents, sister and her husband.  Haven't even started anyone else.  But I'm happy for this accomplishment.

14) Finding cool gifts I know they'll be surprised by and like.  I mentioned in a previous post, I really don't like just buying a gift.  I want it to have that person's name written on it.  I want it to be something they can use and will really like.  It brings me joy when those things fall into place.

15) Finding a parking place for lunch with my kids and hearing my daughter say, "Praise God we found a spot."

16) Taking time to see life through my three-year-old's eyes.  

17) Oh I almost forgot, my first real etsy sale.  Not from a friend here locally, but a person I don't know in a far away state.  So cool. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment