Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Streams In The Desert"





I absolutely love this daily devotional "Streams In The Desert".  It was originally written in 1925.  Some of the language is a little old fashioned.  But the ways it takes trials and helps you look at them with a new perspective is really amazing.  

It's biblically based using scripture, sermons, poems and stories.  So many mornings it has helped me see things in a new light and has taught me to thank the Lord for the trials in my life.  

If it weren't for them I wouldn't have needed Him in such a way of sheer desperation. 


I wouldn't have been broken. 
I wouldn't have come to the end of myself. 
I wouldn't have let go and given it all to Him. 
I would have still thought I had control,
and would have tried to keep it.  
I wouldn't have been blessed by drawing so near to Him.  
I wouldn't have known Him the way I do now. 
If life were all easy,
honestly would I have drawn this close?
I think the answer is no.
And knowing what I do now,
I know that would have been sad. 
I would have died without understanding the depths 
to which my relationship with God can go.
But I also know I still have so far to grow.
But it's exciting knowing Him this way.
Feeling His presence in my life this way.

And yet knowing it's only a glimmer of what Heaven will be.


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:2-4








No comments:

Post a Comment